With so many of us having such fast-paced daily schedules, the idea of finding the time to focus on learning something new may be a bit of a stretch. However, did you know that learning new things may greatly improve your overall happiness?
We’ve all probably heard “your brain is like a muscle” and learning new things helps to exercise that “muscle.” According to a 2016 Harvard Medical School study, learning a new skill can slow cognitive aging and learning helps build neuron connections in the brain that may ward off diseases like Parkinson’s.
According to a recent article published by the Daily Infographic, here is what happens when your brain experiences something new:
- The “novelty center” of your brain is activated.
- You get a rush of dopamine.
- Dopamine motivates you to follow through with the new thing.
- You get another rush of dopamine when you finish the activity.
Dopamine is closely linked to the learning process. Therefore, learning new things stimulates happiness chemicals in your brain.
Not only does training your brain lead to younger, more agile and happier minds, but it also leads to happier law firms and legal departments. Happier minds lead to greater job satisfaction and improved morale. All of which makes work a better place to be.
More benefits to learning something new!
- Learning a wide range of subjects gives us different perspectives to call on in our own narrow day-to-day areas of specialization.
- Learning helps us easily adapt to new situations.
- A broad knowledge of unfamiliar situations helps inspire us to think creatively.
- Learning deepens our character and makes us more inspiring to those around us.
- Learning instills an understanding of the historical, social, and natural processes that impact and limit our lives.
- Learning makes us more confident.
Ready to learn something new? Check out Affinity Insight to learn more about our training options or head on over to Affinity University for over 300 how-to tips and tricks training videos for legal-specific software! For a deeper dive into topics like leadership and strategic planning, be sure to check-out the lessons in the Affinity Webinars course on Affinity University.